Who are you? You probably know by now that who you are refers to more than your name, Life history, marital status or what is on your resume.
These are just aspects of the person you were born, your socialization, your experiences and educational achievements. Who you truly are refers to your inner person – your true self – a lot of people are not in touch with who they are.
Someone once pointed out that instead of being asked “what” we want to be when we grow up, we should be asked “who” we want to be, as this may be of great help to us in discovering who
we really are.
How well we know ourselves plays a big role in our ability to find meaning and purpose in our lives. It enables us to live more fulfilled or wholesome lives. It also helps us to love and appreciate ourselves. You may never fully know yourself as it is an ongoing process through life. We keep discovering new things about ourselves
as time goes by. However, there are a few aspects you need to know about yourself to kick-start the process:-
1) Your values: Find out what matters most to you. What are your priorities and beliefs? You need to understand the things that are important to you and why they are important to you. Another thing you need to find out is what level of dedication you are willing to make towards your standards and moral principles.
2) Your strengths: what are you gifted in? Not only that, but which one of your strengths would you like to develop? Will be your personal assets your strengths will set you apart from other people. They are what makes you uniquely you. They also include your emotional strengths, for instance, your ability to how appreciation or express love.
3) Your passions: What are you passionate about? What kind of activity and pursuits excite you? When you find out what these are, then you can build your life around them. They however, have to be in line with your values.
4) Your tendencies: These whether good or bad, more often than not become your habits. Do you make rash decisions or do you put things off till the very last minute, when you are aware of your habits, you are in a position to assess what areas of your life require improvement and which of your habits are making notable contribution towards your success.
5) Your goals: Are what you would like to achieve and where and what kind of person you would like you life to take after becoming aware of your values, strengths, passions, limitations and goals.
6) Your limitations: Some things are beyond your ability when you identify these you are able to know what you can delegate so as to focus you
energy on what you are most effective at. Nonetheless, we are capable of improving our abilities in almost all areas of life. Most limitations are not permanent but we need to be realistic and honest while assessing ourselves.
7) We will discover the nature of our particular genius when we stop trying to conform to our own or to other people’s models, learn to be ourselves and allow our natural channels to open, you are a unique individual with a great blend of capabilities. Spend some time and get to know yourself. You will not regret it.